We’ve talked a lot on this blog about a malfunctioning furnace, but one of the worst kinds of malfunction a furnace can display is inefficiency. It’s subtle, and it can be missed by a homeowner for months or even decades until you realize you’ve wasted hundreds of dollars on your monthly fuel and energy bills to the point where you’re livid.
Well, the important thing to consider is that inefficiency can be noticed, even by homeowners who aren’t too familiar with the intricacies of their furnaces. That’s what this blog post is for. We’re going to give you a nifty guide to determine whether or not your furnace is running inefficiently.
If it is, then it should be very clear to you that you’ll require professional help. Our team specializes in bringing furnaces up to speed and helping them run smoothly. We’ll perform furnace repair in Urbandale, IA if you need it.
Your Furnace Shouldn’t Operate Like This
The important part of figuring out whether your furnace is running efficiently, is knowing the signs to look for. These are specific things that your furnace should never be doing. We’re going to be mentioning some unambiguous things, so make sure to call for a professional if you notice any of the following!
- It’s making a peculiar noise. We don’t want you to be alarmed at the slightest noise your furnace makes, but you should be able to tell the difference when it’s really struggling. Sounds like booming, banging, clanging, rattling, and shaking, are all noises that signal an inefficient heater. If you just hear a slight whirring or the sound of air wafting through your vents, then you’re fine.
- Your thermostat isn’t reading the right temperature. This is a big one. Your furnace should have no trouble keeping you comfortable on these chilly nights. If your thermostat reads 60, but it feels more like 40 in your home, then something is clearly wrong and your furnace is probably consuming a lot of fuel for a poor job.
- It smells like it’s burning. An overheating furnace isn’t just a safety hazard. While we want you to be alarmed at this and call for help because of the potential health and safety risks, it’s also a sign that your system isn’t running efficiently. It needs to be repaired.
- It hasn’t been maintained in years. On average, a maintained furnace is going to run 5% more efficiently than a neglected system per year of maintenance performed. That means if your system hasn’t been maintained in 4 years, it’s likely running 20% less efficiently than it should be.
- The air filter is clogged. The air filter is a fundamental component of your heater. When it clogs up, it stifles the system and stops it from getting the clean airflow it needs. This will gunk things up and cause the system to either overheat, draw in more energy or fuel, or even compromise the temperature of your home.
If any of these signs sound familiar, then we urge you to call us so we can address the problem head-on!
Call Schaal Plumbing, Heating and Cooling today for furnace repairs that work.